1. On what tectonic plate do you live? How many adjacent plates are there? What kinds of boundaries do you find to the north, south, east, and west? In which direction are these plates moving?
2. Based on your understanding of plate tectonics, will the California coast eventually “slide into the ocean”? Why or why not?
3. Volcanic islands, including the Azores, Canaries, and Iceland, lay scattered across the Atlantic Ocean. If you were to date the rocks on these and other Atlantic islands, what pattern do you predict you would find?
4. Geology has been called an integrated science, because it calls on several scientific disciplines to help explain features and processes of Earth. Explain how geologists have used other sciences to answer the following questions:
a. How old is a piece of rock?
b. How is heat transferred from Earth’s deep interior to the surface?
c. How does Earth’s magnetic field change over time?
d. What is the structure of Earth’s interior?
e. What is the topography of the seafloor?
5. What was Pangaea? How does plate tectonics explain what happened to it? Could Earth’s continents form into a single, Pangaea like mass again? Why or why not? If they could, can you estimate how long it would take for them to do so?
6. Is it possible to outrun an earthquake in a car? Why or why not? How can solid rock travel faster than a car? How is the energy of the earthquake transmitted through solid rock? (Hint: See Chapter 6)
7. Describe the three kinds of plate boundaries.
8. Describe the three different kinds of surface features that might occur at a convergent boundary.
9. Make a bar graph of the thickness of Earth’s core, mantle and crust. Make a graph of the densities of the core, mantle and crust. What do these graphs portray about the interior of our planet?
10. Mount Everest is now approximately 8850 meters tall, and it has been growing taller at a rate of about 2 centimeters per year. Estimate the approximate age of the mountain.
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more